Verb, British English, prac-tised, prac-tis-ing.
to perform or do repeatedly in order to acquire skill or proficiency
Verb, American English, prac-ticed, prac-tic-ing.
the condition arrived at by experience; the exercise of a profession or occupation
Practise Makes Practice facilitates an innovative and inclusive design community through accessible programming, experiences, and collaborative events which highlight the relevance of design in all aspects of life. We fill the gap between traditional design education and the unlimited potential of design practice; resulting in a vibrant, diverse, and creative design culture for Atlanta and beyond.
- Create larger public understanding of the value of design
- Facilitate educational opportunities that challenge the public’s perception of design as a strictly commercial pursuit
- Cultivate a community of design-minded advocates who challenge ubiquitous trends in favor of original thought
- Foster a robust design culture in Atlanta and the surrounding Southeastern United States
- Establish Atlanta as a pioneering design hub
- Provide design education through workshops, lectures, and available design resources
- Publish design-related content, criticism, and theory
- Build a bridge between designers and non-designers
- Provide a voice for diversity and inclusion within related design fields
- Increase visibility for disparate and disenfranchised design perspectives
- Create a platform for design dialogue, cultural exchange, and a greater awareness of design practices and methodologies
- Partner with established institutions and organizations for collaborative educational and programmatic approaches
- Promote joy, play, and experimentation as fundamental pillars to the practice of design
PhilosophyOur organizational and educational philosophy is guided by the belief that design is for everyone; acting as a vehicle for better understanding our place in the world. By democratizing design, we provide a gateway for heightened community engagement, dialogue, problem solving, empowerment, and self-realization through various design practices and inclusionary programming. We seek to facilitate a range of design disciplines, functioning as an intermediary between designers and non designers alike. We believe that educating the general public on the value of design will incite a respect and discernment of how design methodologies affect society’s livelihood.
PracticesPractise Makes Practice spotlights the following design disciplines: